Continuing your real estate journey with a sale, here are a few things you may want to do/have.
- Find a Good Agent
- Have a council rate notice on hand
- Have the latest water bill
- Obtain a Body Corporate Disclosure Statement for strata properties
- Obtain a Pool Safety Certificate
- Proof of Council Approvals for Modifications/builds
- Information on Solar Panels, Hot water systems, AC systems
- Track down your Termite Barrier warranty
- Remove personal fixtures and curtains – unless you’re selling these with the
- Pre-sale building and pest if deemed necessary
- The Property’s Insurance Information
- Power of Attorney – if taking action for the owner
Renovating or Improving to sell
I often get asked about renovating to sell – including repainting, re-carpeting, gardening, solar panel installation…it’s always a tough one to answer because yes, certain things will allow you to provide more details when marketing a house, however will it give you the extra $$$ in sales price you’re looking for?
I’ve put together a few examples of a few renovations that have some costs involved, but if done right can add value.
Sell to your buyers. Think about what buyers could be looking at your house, is it a solid home with a dated interior, targeted at anyone willing to put in a bit of elbow grease and do some renovating, or is it a more complete, up-to-date home with a lot of the current mod-cons wanted by a family ready to move straight in. If you’re unsure as to who your target buyers might be, give me a call and we can have a chat about things.
The first steps for people with either of these homes:
- De-clutter, de-clutter, de-clutter – remove a lot of the personal items, clear the benchtops in the kitchen of most of the appliances, magnets off the fridge.
- Think about furniture proportions – some of your furniture, although your favourite recliner might be comfortable, it also might make the room look smaller than it actually is.
- Curb appeal – people will drive past your house and fall in love with it, but how can they fall in love with it, if they can’t find it. Please put a clear clean number out the front. Tidy up your gardens, do some simple edging around the lawn and water those plants. Nothing turns off people than dead or dying weeds and plants.
- Clean surfaces – clean the windows, the floors, and remove any dust that may have built up over time.
- Remove any potential odour makers – dogs, cats, other pets, or pests can not only make houses smell, to make matters worse some buyers might be allergic to these animals – you wouldn’t want to lose a sale due to sneezing buyer.
If your home fits in the latter, it may pay to think about styling your home to allow people to fall in love with it. You can hire a stylist for this, or if you have a little bit of inbuilt design flair you can save a bit of money and do it yourself.
Staging/ styling homes
Professional Stylists do amazing things, they can provide options that you can achieve within your budget.
Are you looking to get something done prior to selling?
I have a large database of companies I trust to do the right job by my clients, painting, building, pest control, tiling, pool servicing. Contact me to let me help you prepare.
Are you thinking of Selling at Auction?
Find out the benefits of selling at auction here.
Marketing your Property to sell
When it comes to selling your home, marketing it to the most buyers is always the best way. There are a lot of marketing options available to you.
- Internet (realestate.com.au, domain.com.au, harcourts.com.au, etc)
- Newspaper (The Courier Mail, The Northside Chronicle, local papers, etc)
- Social Media Marketing (Facebook, Instagram)
- Area Flyers (A4, DL, etc)
- Signboard (Illuminated, Photographic, Plain, etc)
Would you like to learn more about these options?
Is your house worth over $750,000.
From July 2017 Sellers who obtain a contract of sale for their property of $750,000 or more will need to apply here for a clearance certificate from the ATO.
Download your Free Harcourts Seller’s Guide
If you need any help in your preparation for selling, please contact me at any time.